Sticks and Stones

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Sixth Sense

The Sri Lankan wildlife officials are currently reporting that, although 22,000 people died along the coast, no wildlife is reported injured. What does that say exactly? That we as people are so far removed from nature that we cannot sense imminent natural disaster - - - so far removed from nature that not even a rabbit was found dead where 22,000 human bodies lay dead. The overall count of human devastation due to the Tsunami/earthquake in South Asia is even higher - - up to 125,00 now, but with relief efforts finding difficulty in reaching victims and drinking water being turned to sewage, the number will rise.

The number of people killed by this natural disaster may well reach half a million in the coming weeks and there is some talk that another earthquake/tsunami may hit. This talk could be paranoid or scientifically just.....likely it is a bit of both and if history repeats itself as it seems to, I would imagine the first strike was the worst. It is now our duty to deal with the aftermath. Personally, I would like to help in the reconstruction/relief efforts because it seems so much more important than anything I do with my time now. So many people need help and food and shelter - - I just need to get my student loan officers off my back - - so I have it really easy.

However, these are my fears: 1)More devastation of Asia/Africa leading to unnecessary death,and 2)The poor people affected by the tsunami will not be given the aid they need or worse will somehow be exploited. The first fear is both paranoid and realistic and merely shows some compassion - right? The second fear is also paranoid and filled with empathy but also real true.....I mean really. So far the US has pledged $35 million in aid to South Asia which on first glance sounds good - but look again. It is estimated by reliable news sources that the Iraqi War has cost us in dollars alone (not life) an estimated $200 billion.....yes with a B.

You may think comparing compassionate humanity for those stricken by natural disaster should not be compared with a military effort to democratize a country (or whatever they are calling it now) - - which is fine with me. Comparisons are individualistic in nature for the most part because usually the comparor (if you will) is comparing two things to make a point. I mean there is no other Tsunami devastation of this magnitude to compare the US's charity efforts with - - so take from my comparisons what you will. Here is another comparison - - just for kicks - - Tom Cruise and Jim Carey makes upwards of $20 million per flick and my favorite ball player Jason Varitek just got signed for $40 million......but rampant natural devastation of South Asia has yielded $35 million in US aid. I am sure that the dollars of US aid will increase. I do have that much faith in my country and its members and simply am trying to illustrate a point that is both obvious and interesting but often forgotten.

In closing, I 'd like to return to the issue of why wild animals are still so connected to nature that for the most part they have escaped this massive disaster virtually unharmed. I can only wonder where our sixth sense went or has it just changed? Is it more likely that I could sense Dan Rather retiring or how much money Randy Johnson will get then the onslaught of an earthquake? Is this acceptable or merely unavoidable?

The real issue here is of course how to help and hope to cope. That question we must each answer for ourselves. Money is good to donate if you have it and there are some relief efforts being formed all over the US to get food and clothes together - - check your local listings. I have contacted the red cross to see what I can do since I am poor but healthy and alive. Maybe our country of individuals will answer the cry for help in a larger way than our government has been able to help thus far.

1 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Nikki said...

The United States is pledging $350 million to help tsunami victims, a tenfold increase over its first wave of aid. Just thought I'd update that myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home