Sticks and Stones

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Tuna Buna

Ahh...family. The holidays are a crazy wonderful weird time especially when they involve one's kin. Really this year was no exception...banner year indeed. But I want to discuss more of the minute details (of course)...for example my grandfather (Papa), who is quite ill but shows barely a sign of this, likes to be of aid to the whole family and their endeavors mostly by making suggestions as what or how we could accomplish our goals (or what he sees as our goals).

He is a little tidbit:

Papa: So - Mark I was thinking about the drawing thing you want to do.
[Mark is my step-father and he is a free-lance illustrator]
Mark: Oh yeah?
Papa: Yeah - I was thinking...Do those people that you want to work with know that you have one of those tables?
Mark: My Drawing Table?
Papa: Yeah...you know I think they would be really impressed if they knew that you had one. So, you should send them a picture of it when you apply for jobs..you know, that way they would know that you really know what you are doing.
Mark: Ok Papa - thanks. [yes my step-father calls my grandfather Papa]

(Later....the phone rings)

Mark: Hello
Papa: Hey Mark - I had an even better idea...let me take a picture of you drawing at the table and send that. That way they will know it is your table.
Mark: Um Ok...
_____

I hope this does not sound as if I am mocking my Papa. I love him and he is so loving and so funny often without realizing it which of course makes it funnier. But - he is also right - sometimes.

After the previous interaction, My mom and I were discussing Papa and his many follies and my Mom was like well it really all goes back to Tuna Buna. And I looking incredulously at my mother - questioned what the heck she was talking about (you are actually not allowed to swear/curse even when reciting stories about your mom - I believe that is the rule)?

So my mom tells me this story about back when my parents where still together and my Dad was opening one of his Sandwich/Pizza shops (he was quite the entrepreneur there for awhile). So, of course, Papa wants to help with this business venture.

And says. "Bill (my dad), you know what you gotta do? You have to give each sandwich a special name and that way people will remember it and come to your place. Like if you are going to serve Tuna sandwiches...you call the sandwich something like Tuna Buna. Now, Bill I know what I am talking about - so, you should do that."

Well I don't recall any Tuna Buna sandwiches in my youth at my Dad's place but I do know that my Mom refers to Tuna as Tuna Buna as does my Dad and my step-dad (somehow I only became privy to this recently). And although it sounds super goofy and it is...watch next time you order a tuna sandwich...you'll smile and say or at least think) Tuna Buna as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home